Friday, June 4

time warp

Has it been nearly a month since my last post? Because I no longer have a decent concept of time...for instance, when I started writing this post, I was due in 7 weeks. Now I've less than 6 to go. Whew!

When it's 6 weeks until your vacation, it's an eternity. When it's 6 weeks until you are giving birth to a human who will alter your life permanently, it's less than a millisecond. I'm baffled that this pregnancy has suddenly seemed to fly by, and a little sad. I feel very blessed that it's been mostly smooth sailing.  I had to get a 3-hour glucose screening to determine if I had gestational diabetes recently, and that worried my sandals off. Thankfully, I do not. Heartburn has really been my worst "side effect" and the occasional sleepless night has as much to do with me as my belly bundle. I've never been a good sleeper, so I hope that will be to my benefit and not a trait my child gets. On Saturday, I discovered my first stretch mark that popped up on a belly scar that never healed correctly, and my right foot has been swollen. Yes, just the right one. With it's nice greenish hue, it looks a little like it belongs to the Incredible Hulk. All in all, these are truly minor side effects. I am so thankful.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to the beach in Alabama and the waters had not been affected by the oil spill. In fact, it might have been the cleanest I've seen it in years. There was a lot of patrolling of volunteers, wildlife officers and conservation groups. The oil sheen has officially hit that area now. Heartbreaking. I was hoping the coast would not be affected and changed by this catastrophe. It does make one consider that we should all be making changes to reduce our dependency on oil. It is so much more than just what we're putting in our cars.

Speaking of change, I do have a dull sense of panic about the life changes coming soon. I'm also really excited to meet this little kung fu master who's favorite spot is up and to the right of my belly button. I was laughing to myself thinking I wonder what I'll do if this baby is right-handed...we are both left-handed. I think the dogboy might even be left-pawed. How are we going to be able to show it how to do anything? I suppose this ranks pretty low on the list of important things, but it's funny to think about anyway. It reminds me of the Shel Silverstein poem Backward Bill for some reason. Yes, that's how my brain works.

We've just had a lovely weekend hosting our Texas friends that I call our HoneyBuddies...we met them on our honeymoon in Puerto Rico. They were married a week before us and we had so much fun together that we've made an effort to get together every year since. It's been an extra special weekend because they brought their 8-month old son with them this time...and he is nearly perfect. I rubbed his little hands all over our nursery so that his good baby vibe will rub off on ours when he/she arrives. It's fun that we are nearly on the same life schedule with these friends and that future vacations will give our kids the chance to play together.

It's time for a nap...something I'm getting a little better at for now, as my energy level is diminishing as quickly as my ability to touch my feet. Again, if you see my feet, say hello. And try not to stare at the Hulk toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment