Monday, August 30

An ocean view


My parents generously invited us to their beach condo for a week, and since I'm still on maternity leave, I jumped at the opportunity. It was Kirby's 2-month birthday, so what better way to celebrate than taking him to the coast for the first time. The beach is absolute therapy for me...there are few places I feel more calm and open and gratefully aware of my life's blessings.

Kirby checks out the ocean
It's too hot and too soon to take Kirby out in the sun, so with the help of willing grandparents, I had time to cruise the shore by myself. What a treat for me after many hours indoors...smelling the salty air, feeling the breeze, seeing and hearing the waves and wildlife, taking step after step in the sand.

It occurred to me that walking on the beach is a lot like motherhood for me. You're never sure if you are stepping on firm ground or if it will shift beneath you. It doesn't seem to get easier to walk on, but you adapt and adjust with each step and keep going. Sometimes you become painfully aware of your lack of balance; sometimes you surprise yourself with your reflexes and stamina. If you are doing it right, you slow down, stop and look around instead of blasting by everything. You might get tired or thirsty or have to go to the bathroom, but you put those things off as long as is possible so you don't miss anything. You will likely experience something special* and wish someone was there to share the moment with you, but you are secretly delighted that the moment is yours alone. This has been my journey so far.

The drive down and back took longer than usual since we stopped for feedings, but overall Kirby adjusted fabulously to everything. And he got to spend lots of time with his Gigi and Poppa as well as with my friends Katie, Pete and Jojo, which was fun. We walked him down the boardwalk a night or two, but I hesitated putting his little feet in the sand and ocean because there is still crude oil washing up in the form of tar balls (Yuck...I'll do a separate post on things related to that). But we got a few sweet photos of Kirby's first ocean visit that I will cherish forever. It will be fun next time to dip his sweet little toes in the sand and surf and experience the beach through his eyes. I hope he loves it as much as I do so that we can share it together. Here are a few photos from the week.
Pete and Katie having fun with Kirby
Relaxing on daddy's knees
Gigi missed Poppa and Kirby's staring contest
My sweet friend Jojo and her boys Jonas and Silas
Heaven packed into one location

*I found tiny, intact sand dollars and baby's ear sea shells (like finding 4-leaf clovers) in the same shell pile; a pod of dolphins escorted me for about a mile on one of my walks; I saw an osprey and new beach birds I've yet to identify; and I saw two stingrays and a needlefish in the surf less than 20 feet away from me. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. We are so much a part of the Great Ocean--it's home to us all. Glad that a visit to the seashore is so uplifting, and especially glad we could share it with you, Jerry, Katie and Pete, and most of all, Kirbilicious! Come back any time.

    ReplyDelete