Sunday, February 7

movement

At the doctor's on Thursday, I was asked if I've felt any movement. Having no previous experience with movement, other than those digestive in nature, I told her no.

Yesterday, I felt like a chorus of "Beans, beans, the magical fruit" was on the way, but I'm not convinced it was gas. Not delightful, but not uncomfortable either. Mainly in one place instead of the typical bubbly trek across my abdomen. Could it be? I'm close to this 18 week mark she spoke of, when first-time moms start feeling something.

Among the baby books I'm currently browsing, I'm also reading a book called The Host by Stephenie Meyer, though I'm not sure how much more of it I can take. I read her Twilight series with surprising enjoyment, even though they are written for a younger audience. This one is not nearly as funny (I don't think they are intended to be comical, though). Anyhoot, the premise of the book is an alien invasion where "Souls" are implanted into human bodies. The main character, the Soul called Wanderer, has been placed into Melanie's body. Well, Melanie wasn't ready to resign. And so begins an internal dialogue between Soul and Host, with the Host gradually getting stronger and influencing the Soul, even occasionally regaining control of a bodily function or two. I'm ready for the part where she punches herself in the face, but so far no dice.

Enough about the story, or lack thereof...the premise of two souls in one body is intriguing and has had me thinking. It's one thing in early pregnancy to see your body physically changing...in my case, an expanding waistline, a bustier bust [ah-hem], the beginnings of cankles (yay, sock lines! sexy!). And it's a whole different thing to feel your body changing, to get more than just a visual confirmation that something's up. Feeling that first kick, or punch, or whatever fly new break dance move the baby is trying out. To consider that there is thought behind the reflexes.

I didn't necessarily start this blog to exclusively talk about pregnancy, and I'm not ready to wax philosophical on the beginnings of a soul...I've got bigger things to ponder, like what to make for dinner and when to go shopping for mom jeans. But it is on my mind, and it is mind-boggling cool to think about a new soul sharing your space...operating independently of you, it's own identity shaping itself, it's spirit and energy concentrating into a new life. Granted, I've had gas before that felt like it had its own personality, but this is far, far more fun.

So bust a move, baby! I'm ready for the soul train. Dah-nah-nah!

No comments:

Post a Comment