I'm beginning to realize that when you tell folks you're pregnant, the congrats and sweet words are followed by lots of questions. Many are pretty standard: how far along, when are you due, have you been sick, do you know what it is...all easy enough to answer (and the answer to the last one: we don't want to find out, which has received mixed reviews...sorry about that, I like a surprise).
My favorite is when someone who already knows says, "So how are yoooouuu today?" in a tone that suggests we're in a conspiracy together. I know they are sincere, so I struggle to answer without being silly. I don't have a pregnant belly yet, so I guess that's why it strikes me as funny. It also reminds me of when my freshman roommate, Angie, and I used to go to the grocery together in college.
We would purposely enter the same aisle from opposite ends and when we'd get close, one would turn to the other and begin: "Charlene...is that yoooouuu?" and the other would reply with the same surprise, "Billy Jo?! Oh my goooosh! How are yoooouuu?!?!" and we'd carry on in ridiculous accents, asking how are the 5 kids...what, 7 now? well how are they, did you quit smoking bleach yet, your mustache looks great!, etc. etc.
Eventually we would say our goodbyes and swear to keep in touch. Then we'd go to another aisle and do the whole charade again with new names and questions. Folks going through the store at the same time gave us priceless looks and hurried away. I think of Angie everytime I run into someone I know at the store, and I have to resist asking how their appearance went on the Jerry Springer show.
Thinking of future grocery trips with my little person in tow, I'm excited to pass on the tradition. I hope we run into Angie while we're there...her questions are always easy to answer and I can't wait to hear how her 26 kids are doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Whooooa!!!!! Congrats Karen and Jerry! Very excited for you two, well three, or four if you include the baby? So due the end of July then? We are SO excited for you and Sarah really loves babies so she will be excited to see little KJ grow up on your blog. Just be better than we were ;)
ReplyDelete