When you have time to stare at your baby at close range, you notice every little thing. And it seems like a lot changes in between feedings, really...Was that bump there a few hours ago? When did he scratch himself? I don't remember his head being that flaky. I think his eyes are turning blue...Oh look, he has eyelashes now! It's amazing how quickly he's changing. His pictures this week look very different from just a couple of weeks ago. Fascinating.
You've got something on your face there.
Occasionally while nursing Kirby I'll get a bit distracted -- sleep deprivation at its finest -- or I'll multitask a bit and do things like have a snack or check my email on my Ipod Touch. Today I was eating some fresh cherries while nursing him. I popped one in my mouth and turned to say something to him and splattered his little face with cherry juice. It didn't faze him at all, but I'm glad I was paying attention, or I would have wondered where all the blood had come from. He looked like he was ready for a zombie Halloween costume.
The Good Latch
It sounds like a movie title, doesn't it? Well, I'll tell you what -- it's a film I'd like to see. We're doing something right because this boy has gained over 2 pounds since we brought him home 4 weeks ago, but man do the feedings take awhile. Poor tatas. I'm constantly scoring breastfeeding info during and in between feedings. Just when I think I've got it, the next nursing session is a disaster. Again, he's gaining and peeing and pooing like a champ, so I'll try to relax a little. I had no idea I was capable of so much anxiety.
Doody Duty
Changing diapers has become a scientific endeavor, especially with this little boy. It's a dance we do every time to see if we (okay, maybe just me) can keep him calm and get it done. Every once in awhile he could care less and just lies there, but mostly he is sounding the alarm that There are intruders in the house! The stock market just crashed! We are out of sandwich bread again! I feel almost like one of those pit guys in a Nascar race...alright, Kirby's pulling in, be ready to change that tire, dammit, or this could cost us the race! I've found that I make up my worst songs during the diaper change. No rhyme or rhythm, just nonsense. Hey, whatever works.
Did he just say "Raaaaaaaaanch?"
I know, I know, everyone's baby is a genius, but mine already knows how to ask for the house salad dressing. He also calls sheep, makes machine gun sounds, and communicates with wookies. And he loves to make this face:
Such a funny guy already...I cannot wait to hear him laugh.


Kirby Armstrong Last has a First rate, awesome mom.....:o)
ReplyDeletebecause Kirby's mom has an awesome mom. the best actually.
ReplyDeleteloving this. what a bond. what a change. hip hip hooray. i feel all giddy after reading this post. thanks.
ReplyDeletelove the face. Love it!
ReplyDeleteI too succumbed to the "entertain the kid during the diaper change" phenomena. My song:
Fresh pants, for my baby girl
Fresh pants, in them you'll see the world
Fresh pants, oh you'll have so much fun!
Fresh pants feel so good on your bum....
I'm sure I'm making my poetry prof proud.
And yes..it has a baby boy version now which lacks just as much creativity! But I'm with you....whatever it takes for fresh bottoms and happy babies. You are rockin' little mama!
Hi Karen - wonderful post! That picture of Kirby is just fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Hang in there with the breast feeding. It will all come together, and it sounds like you really are doing great despite your worry : )
ReplyDeleteI think we should make the movie "the good latch" Mothers worldwide would come to see it!! I'm beginning to think that relaxation and motherhood don't belong together. We just love our babies so much, we overthink everything. Which means that you are doing an incredible job!!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Mary